Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Turkey 7 : Unexpected

After losing myself in paradise, surrounded by colorful autumn colors and solemn snow mountain ridge for two days, I decided to move on to the next destination - Kars located at border of Turkey and Armenia. The only van that travel in the morning from Barhal village to Yusufeli is at 7am. Dragged myself out from the warm bed, took breakfast prepared by the family and sayonara to the paradise in the cold morning.

The van traveled along the crystal clear streams in a narrow valley all the way to Yusufeli town. However, I cannot get any bus or van that travel to Kars from Yusufeli. Since I was traveling by myself, and my journey are unplanned, I took out my guide book, looked at the map for Northeastern Anatolia, simply choose a destination on the map - chosen Ardahan as long as it leads me to Kars next. After checking with the bus office, mostly with sign language and one two single words, I hopped on a bus destined to Artvin. Journey to Artvin from Yusufeli is not really a pleasant one, as construction of dam was in progress that time. When the minibus reached the junction leading into Artvin town, the bus driver asked me to go down - pointed at another bus - that is the bus to Ardahan. There I go on my journey to Ardahan via Cam Pass at 2540m.

This journey is unexpectedly amazing, passing through yaylalar (pastures) settlement, and an old Georgian town of Savsat.

Continuing east the bus crossed over the Cam Pass at 2540m, through winding roads with amazing settlements and scenery along the way. After the high mountain pass, leaving all the lush wooded valleys, and I came to a different landscape of Turkey - the Plateau which leads into Ardahan. It was end of autumn at that time, and a lot of temporary shields for the herdsman were left empty. However, I could still see herds of cows, goats and horses on the plateau. This part of Turkey is having its own uniqueness, not only in landscape but lifestyle.

It was a gloomy day and that make me decided to continue my journey even though how I hope to jump down from the bus at one of the settlements along the way. However, I indeed enjoyed this unexpected view on my unplanned journey.

P/S : I am a very lazy photographer, and not the type who always hang my camera on my neck everywhere I go during my journey. A lot of time I see, I feel and I store all these experience in my very own memory card. Best way is - be there and feel it.

1 comment:

  1. Cosmetic Surgery Celebs : Michael Jackson was known for his obsession with cosmetic surgeries that brought about drastic changes in his appearance from time to time.

    Smart Look - Million Words : Heard of blue eyes, green eyes, hazel eyes…of course brown eyes…but not violet eyes

    Celebs Birthday Celebrations : Happy birthday to an iconic model, who set the stage for newbies today.

    Worst Bollywood Remakes : Bollywood thrives on remakes of other films and this has been proven time and again.

    Hottest Moms in Bollywood : Several female stars in Bollywood have thwarted the notion that actresses cannot be good mothers.

    Bike Show Babes : belt up and let us take you on a journey to the girls of the Russian bike show

    ReplyDelete