Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Turkey 6 : Lost In Paradise

After my stay in the busy town Trabzon in Black Sea Region, I moved on to mountain village in Yusufeli. Only one bus company operates direct journey from Trabzon to Yusufeli, with stops along the way. The bus travels through the scenic coastal way of black sea, then uphill to Artvin and further up to Yusufeli. I continued my journey from Yusufeli to Barhal village. The road journey is extremely scenic with beautiful valleys, mountainscape and emerald river. In old days, the castle was built on the mountain to saveguard the whole area from enemy.
Barhal village is one the base for trekkers in Kackar or Altiparmak mountain range. A very small village with few shops supplying all kinds of groceries including camping equipments such as gas canister, etc. And definitely there is also restaurant or tea shop, as the Cay culture is everywhere you go in Turkey.I was told that the pension I will be staying is located somewhere like this pension. Luckily there is a pulley system which transport stuff up to the pension. This pulley system is used by most village houses located at hill slopes. I stayed in pension runned by Karahan's family. I was the only guest at that time as the trekking season has over. I was glad to have company of a young lovely pre-school teacher, Turkan who is just about to start her teaching life in Barhal village. The dinner with the family was great, with lenthil soup, stuffed capsicum etc all prepared by the mama and younger brother of Karahan family. Breakfast served with village honey and homemake cream.

So how I spent my day in this village since I dont have any plan to go trekking in Kackar or Altiparmak range? To me, it is indeed one of the most "colorful" day of my journey. I simply lost in paradise. My walking journey from Barhal village up toward Naznara located at base of Altiparmak ridge is such a leisure for me. Once I was lying on pasture admiring beautiful wild flowers, then you can find me relaxing by the stream, or sometimes I was lying on rocks taking nap with beautiful snow ridge in front of me.

Most of the houses are made of wood, and the design is almost similar, with storage space and drying rack for crops. It is harvest season for fruits. The villagers are so hospitable waving at me inviting me into their courtyard and share the fresh walnut harvested from their orchard. Some villagers even feed me with apples. My short stay in this area is colorful and memorable, not only due to the wonderful autumn colors but the friendliness and hospitality of the villagers.


More photos on the link to my flickr album http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahbeelim/sets/72157622773766411/





No comments:

Post a Comment